Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Musical Road to Nowhere

I know this is going to sound completely insane, but the Japanese have done it again. Avenue K just west of our house plays the William Tell Overture when you drive over it at 60 mph.

I know, I know it sounds crazy and impossible. My coworker at work told me about it yesterday and I wasn't sure whether to believe him or not, and Chad was convinced he wasn't serious. But it showed up in the paper today, and, if it's in print it has to be true, right? So we went on a little trip after work to verify that it was, indeed true .. and sure enough.. it worked!

They filmed a Honda commercial out here and the Japanese (who have done this on a few roads in Japan and Korea) cut grooves in the road at just the right intervals / frequency to produce music. It uses your car as the 'tuning fork' and you can hear the music by simply driving over it.

It is, by far, one of the wackiest things I've seen/experienced in a while. The funniest part? It's out in the middle of nowhere.. our housing tract is pretty much the west end of town and Avenue K just stretches from here out into the desolate desert beyond. Just begs the questions.. why here?

But.. I guess we needed another tourist attraction, right?? See.. more of you want to come and visit us now.. don't you? Hmm.. perhaps it's working. :-)

Here is the audio we recorded on Chad's phone on our 'musical journey'


share your files at box.net

If you're totally fascinated (how could you not be?) Here is the youtube link for a video of someone on the road in Korea that plays "Mary Had a Little Lamb": Anyang Singing Road

2 comments:

Keri Dawn said...

That is so freakin' cool! I want one!

ShelBailey said...

Cool. Although someone's a little tonedeaf, lol. The Korean one was better.

That's almost an excuse to come see you guys (not like we needed one, really), but not until it cools off a bit.