Sunday, June 21, 2009

Baby Grand

I've always dreamed of owning a Baby Grand piano.

Don't get me wrong, my little Kawai that I've had for years is a good little piano. However, even as I was buying it I thought 'in five years I'll save up and buy my baby grand.. this is just an interim piano. That was 14 years ago..

So while perusing Craig's List about three weeks back I saw some interesting listings for an older baby grand or two at terribly reasonable prices. I thought to myself.. if they're in decent shape at all it would be worth it. So.. I watched the listings come and go and finally honed in on one. A 1934 Mahogany Kimball that was supposedly in perfect working / sounding condition with a few 'minor' cosmetic blemishes.

I thought and I figured and thought and figured. Then two weeks ago Saturday I needed to go down below (that's what we call 'the San Fernando / Los Angeles region) for a doctor appt, so I thought I would just call and see if it was available to be looked at.

It was, I went and saw it, I played it and in a rare moment of not-quite-insanity.. I bought it.

It was delivered to our house on June 9th. We then started working on getting it polished up (it has the original 1034 finish and looked it). A few coats of restorative wood wax (no worries.. it's all natural and safe for pianos) and all those 'minor' blemishes all but vanished.

It's a pretty little thing. The piano tech came and looked at it and is due back on Tuesday to give a good once over and then he says it will be in good working condition.

Now.. if only I had somewhere to put it in my house.. and a matching piano bench cover..

I guess that's just a project for my post-girls-camp recovery period..

3 comments:

B. Surfer said...

Amazing! It gives me hope to keep looking for a good deal. Because "someday" is my dream too.

Pat Reed said...

I'm so happy for you. I love hearing you play piano and can't wait to hear you on the "grand" new one.

Sarah said...

Very nice - I'm dreaming of getting a grand someday.